Edwardian and Vintage Ephemera - Part 1

Monday, March 4, 2013

Everybody knows how much I love antiques, right? Well, maybe not, but now you do! I particularly love Victorian, Edwardian and vintage ephemera, also known as scrap. I frequently purchase antique postcards to decorate my room with, including two gorgeous pop-up Valentines. But the last time I went to my local stomping grounds, the store had packs of Edwardian and vintage scrap for sale. I just couldn't believe my good luck! I love to use vintage re-printed images for ATC's, cards, scrap-booking, altered book-making, etc, and here I was holding the actual originals in my hands! Well, needless to say, I purchased a $5.00 bag of Edwardian and vintage ladies, children, and babies, and decided to use it for projects. But then I thought "If I use them, then what? I won't be able to share the images." So I sat down and used my printer/scanner and scanned them onto a USB drive.

So what am I getting at, you might wonder? Well, I know there are a lot of people out there who like to use images of ephemera for their projects and usually they find them online and get charged for it. This seems unfair, as the images either had no copyright to begin with or the copyright has run out. And although, yes, I did buy the images with my own money, I have the originals and am super content with that. And as a historian I feel the need to preserve these beautiful images for future generations to enjoy. But I think my fellow artists should have access to free items online, so I am willing to share them in exchange for 2 things:

1. I love to see what people do with things like this and would LOVE IT even more if you posted a comment with a link to your project that uses these images. Of course, this is not required, the images are free, but I am very curious about what my fellow artists would do.

2. Love the images as much as I do. Which I'm sure you will. That's all.

Since there were quite a few images, I will be posting a couple of times over this week with them and feel free to save to your computer, print, cut, glue, and accessorize as you will. They would be perfect for a lot of projects, including altered books and stand-up dolls. Enjoy!









1 comment:

Let me know what you think!