Doll Commission

Saturday, July 6, 2013


 ~{ oOo }~

 This is a doll commission that I recently completed. Although I had until November, I chose to finish the doll by July so I wouldn't fall behind on working on it during school. I made the doll, two dresses with collars, puffed sleeves, and full skirts, one nightie with floral lace trim, one slip (made from cotton, not shown here), and pale yellow pantaloons that could double as a play outfit. I sewed the shoes/slippers to the doll, as I knew this was going to be a gift for a child. I also added doll joints at the shoulders and hips, so the doll is pose-able. 

I did add a pale yellow body-suit with white lace trim to the doll, to avoid the "naked doll around the house" syndrome. I had a great deal of freedom in making this doll, I was permitted to pick out the color and pattern of fabric used, the style of dresses and trims, and the arrangement of the hair. The only things stipulated were for legs that were bent at the knee, dark hair, and durability. Therefore, I finished all the seams on all the garments and used elastic so a child can take the pantaloons on and off. I also decided to embroider the face on so it would last longer.

In all, it was quite the learning experience and I discovered that sewing a little gown the right way does not mean it takes less time than an adult gown. In all, I probably put 30 to 40 hours into this set.
 Enjoy!

No comments

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!