We've all seen something like what's in the above picture, either at a garage sale, flea market, or thrift store. It is very kitschy and out-dated, though rather cute if you like one stroke style painting. But it is still an item that will often wind up in a landfill because it is dated. The pail was rusty, though I couldn't say if it was because of real age or a solution put onto the metal. But when I saw it at the thrift store a memory arose in my mind of the lunch-pail tree in one of the Wizard of Oz stories. I was determined to buy it and give new life to this rather sad looking pail.
I gave the pail a coat of rusty colored acrylic paint to cover up the little design on the lower half, then opened up my scrap-booking stack of fairytale themed papers and rummaged around. What I wound up with is what you see in the pictures below, and yes, it is the same pail. It's amazing what a little glue, glitter, scrap, and paper can do for you! Now it is the perfect container for any and all kinds of craft materials (buttons, thread spools, ribbons, etc) or it can be used as a lunch-pail. Merely line with a cloth that keeps with the spirit, add a small icepack, place lunch items inside and you're good to go!
It is so unique and attractive it would be perfectly fine for an adult to use and makes a great conversation starter. And finally, you could put scrapbook materials inside, use it as a treat tin (lined with a plastic bag first), or put a small glass vase inside (then fill with your favorite fresh flowers). Currently it is being used as a decoration, sitting on my dresser being a herald of Spring! It spoke to me and I hope that other similar items will speak to you next time your visit your local thrift shop. You may just save something from the landfill and get a useful, beautiful piece in return!





No comments
Post a Comment
Let me know what you think!