Nordic Viking Woman Gnome

Saturday, November 28, 2020

 



Solveig: A Viking Woman Gnome

Supplies used: felt, cotton and woven wool scraps, Finnish trim, mix of glass beads, buttons and wood bead for nose, Mjolnir pendant, embroidery floss, wool roving for hair, fiberfill.

This is the third "gnome" I have sewn by hand. I say "gnome" but I refer to them in my everyday language as a tomte. 

I start by making a felt cylinder and sewing it shut with a straight stitch, sewing a felt circle onto the bottom, then filling it with fiberfill. I then gather and sew up the open end. Hats are made from felt to fit the cylinder, and this one I blanket stitched together. I sew the hair (or beard) on before the hat, and in Solveig's case her cloak and hangeroc (apron) got sewn on here, too. I then stitched the hat, nose, buttons and jewelry on. It is probably a two hour hand-sewing project with no embroidery embellishments. But since I can't resist, I usually add some! 

Solveig is now living a wonderful life with an owner who loves gnomes. ❤️

No comments

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!